Before you run off and format the drive again, from the sound of your
description, you either attached the disk to a user and queried it, or you
created a minidisk that covered the drive, including cyl 0. That's about the
only two ways you'd get a message about it being an OS disk.

You need to allocate one or more minidisks on the drive, beginning at cyl 1
and continuing up from there, and format each minidisk as a CMS disk.

Also, how much "stuff" does this person have? 3338 cylinders seems like huge
overkill for a CMS disk. I'd see what he has, and maybe 50 (or maybe 5)
cylinders would be enough. Don't waste the space; you'll find other uses for
it in the long run.

--
   .~.    Robert P. Nix             Mayo Foundation
   /V\    RO-OE-5-55                200 First Street SW