Thanks Alan... We do have TSA and do have GDPS set up but the mirrored
volume is 140 miles away via XRC. Would this still work?
Andy
Internet: Mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU> wrote on
10/30/2007 08:58:54 PM:

> On Tuesday, 10/30/2007 at 07:16 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Thanks Robert But we already went down this route as I explained we
know
> > it was a hardware hit to a brocade device. That really wasnt my
question
> > we were told within a few minutes the chip'ds came back VM stayed up.
> But
> > zLinux crashed on the VM system. Those of course involved with the
> chip'd
> > taking the errors. Im just trying to find out is this normal, there
are
> no
> > time out values for zLinux to wait before going down hard or if it
cant
> > get to Root lets say once it dies? Sounds that way but wanting to see
if
> > there is anything we can do to prevent this other then the obvious
make
> > sure we dont take hardware hits ;)
>
> To answer your question, an interface control check is a permanent I/O
> error (hence the HCPERP notifications and an EREP record was likely
> created).  The channel subsystem has already tried all available paths
> get to the device.  There's nothing the guest can do to fix it.
>
> This is exactly the the kind of thing that Linux-HA and/or Tivoli System

> Automation for Linux [I think] can address using z/VM's HYPERSWAP
command,
> if you have a z/OS GDPS solution.  The I/O error would be trapped by the

> monitoring [Linux] guest and the failing volume replaced by a mirrored
> volume.  (GDPS manages the mirroring.)
>
> Of course, if the primary and secondary volumes are coming through the
> same FICON switch then it won't help as much (protecting you only from
> port failures).
>
> Alan Altmark
> z/VM Development
> IBM Endicott

The information contained in this message may be CONFIDENTIAL and is for the
intended addressee only.  Any unauthorized use, dissemination of the
information, or copying of this message is prohibited.  If you are not the
message.