From: Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: TCPIP troubleshooting
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 14:01:24 -0500

On Tuesday, 11/20/2007 at 01:49 EST, Dave Keeton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> After bringing up FTPSERVE to transfer some files, I noticed this
morning that
> I'm unable to connect to the IP address I used for z/VM. I am still able
> access the z/VM console through the ICC network, but the address
specified in
> the DTCPARMS file is unresponsive. I can't seem to figure out why, so
I'm
> throwing it out here to see if anyone has any suggestions.
>
> I have two VSWITCH entries in SYSTEM CONFIG and both are using DTCVSW1.
All of
> the Linux guests are accessible so production is now down. The only item
that's
> not working is direct access to z/VM through the private network that we
have
> set up.
>
> It really doesn't make any sense to me. Thanks for any advice you can
offer.

1. Ask yourself and your colleagues "what changed?"
2. Look at the TCPIP console and see if you have any errors.
3. Issue "ifconfig -a" and see if everything you expect to be UP is up.
4. QUERY VSWITCH to see if they are in the state you expect.
5. At some point in the past you drew a picture of the network into which
you placed VM TCP/IP.  Confirm with your network architects that the
picture is still correct (subnet masks & routers).

Dave Keeton
Systems Programmer
Enterprise Systems
Oregon State Data Center