>From time to time we send a large MICS file to SFS and get that "Foreign
host aborted the connection" message.  When we look at the SFS there is
a partial file.  We use VMFTP and check for RC=250 and stop processing.
The point though is that SFS retains the partial file.

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Schuh, Richard
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 12:49 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: FTP Append (Update)

Those messages occur over and over in the logs. Of the 10 listed
messages, 2 were one-time messages; the no such connection message
occurred about 10 times. There were 12 of the shut down messages, the
last being in July of this year. The rest occur thousands of times,
each.

One interesting note: In 2004, I asked essentially the same question
about the same message. At that time, we were seeing a null file in SFS.
This is probably the same problem, except we have not seen the null
file. That is probably a matter of timing - if we look before the next
addition is appended, we would probably see it. There were no answers
posted to my query back then. The problem was self-healing; it went away
for over 3.5 years.

We do have a circumvention. When the PC posts the DATACONN message, the
whole file is sent using PUT instead of APPEND, insuring that no
corrupted file lasts for a measurable period. This will increase the
amount of data on the network, but it will prevent confusion and manual
intervention.

As for leaving a partial or corrupted files, isn't SFS supposed to
handle that? Something about a commit, perhaps? If FTPSERVE is
committing a corrupted file, I would hope that it does not have a way to
tell SFS to abandon the rename process in the middle.

Speaking of SFS, the last occurrence of this problem was about midway
between two control data backups that were 10 hours apart, so that is
not the source of the problem. There were no messages, as in none at
all, on the file pool server's console log between the two backups.

Regards,
Richard Schuh