On Dec 11, 2007 8:50 AM, Wayne T Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> individual items is much faster.   I've used gmail (gmail uses keywords
> in place of folders) this way for over a year now, and am very happy
> with it.  Gmail's recent addition of IMAP support means that I can have
> my gmail not only in a web browser, but in my Outlook, Thunderbird or
> other e-mail client that supports IMAP.

I certainly recommend using gmail to follow mailing lists in
non-digest form. The web interface is highly efficient when you're
able to be connected while reading mail. When viewing the posts, gmail
will hides the quoted sections and thus reduces the amount of text to
skip through. The posts are organized into threads again so it is easy
to put aside the remainder of a subject you don't care to follow (but
you will be able to find it back).

With over 5 GB of email storage for free, you don't have to retire in
3 years... :-)  Added bonus is that you see advertising in the margin
that is often related to the post in a funny way (I wasn't aware of
IPL devices for skin treatment, and I get a lot of links to off-shore
plumbing equipment).

Rob