Well, you queried the drive, and the response was no tape mounted.
Next you issued a demount to the drive which received the I/O error,
probably because there was nothing to demount.

Try mounting a tape then see if the demount is successful.

BTW, if you order latest DFSMS service, which removes the need by
RMS to attach the drive to issue the query drive command, there is
corresponding CP service required.

Best Regards,
Les Geer
IBM z/VM and Linux Development