>    That would be scratch0 I believe. I've been trying some stuff this
>morning after reading your note. I disassociated the drive from the
>scratch pool and when I re-started the RMSMASTR machine, there were no
>sense errors. I was able to manually mount a tape which was volspecific.
>After re-associating the drive to the scratch0 pool, I once again got
>the errors on initialization of RMSMASTR.
>
>Which APAR(s) should I be applying to bring DFSMS/VM current?

The APARs which allow RMS to issue a query device without attaching
the device are VM64062 and VM64206 for RMS, and VM64157 for CP.

However, none of this service in my belief will help solve the
I/O errors you are receiving.  If you associate a device with a
particular scratch pool, and there are volumes in this pool, the
I/O error seems strange.  You should ask the CE about this.  Of course
they will point to the software.  So if you obtain a trsource trace of
the I/O error we can tell you exactly what I/O is failing and what the
error is.

Best Regards,
Les Geer
IBM z/VM and Linux Development