Alan Altmark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scrawled:
>On my z/VM 5.3 system I have 9 characters.  But this issue with large
>disks threatens to get out of hand.  Apparently the word isn't getting
>around that it is time to start scaling these large numbers on displays
>unless specifically asked for details.  99.999% of the time, I only care
>about the relative scale of file sizes.  Knowing a file has 45K records is
>just as good as knowing it has 44,727 records.  I'm just looking for the
>big ones to throw away.

>Naturally LISTFILE shouldn't do the scaling, but FILELIST and FLIST
>should.  Sorting can still work by the unseen real number.  If one does a
>Sort-by-Size operation, THEN the real number is shown and some non-size
>related field disappears.  All assuming, of course, that my 90 column
>screen can't accomodate the whole thing.  (FLIST reverts to 24x80 on my
>40x90 screen.)

This is an excellent point.  Do you know anyone in VM development?

>I have been ready for years to stop reformatting data to accomodate 80
>columns.  Back when we used Real 3270s, that was an issue.  No longer.  It
>is time to take a bold step forward into the 1990s.

Nice idea, but unrealistic, since 24x80 is the alternate (should have been
"alternative") size by default.  I've spent decades designing screens knowing
that I have to fit in 24x80; would that I could do otherwise.  But I've been to
far too many customer sites where they have no idea how to configure their
emulator and/or they're going through some VTAM that won't accommodate a weird
size...

...phsiii