An added benefit to doing a CPVOL format on a dasd volume is that CPVOL FORMAT writes whatever type of "OS FORMAT nn" label that MVS interprets as meaning that there is no free space on the volume. This can be a life saver if your dasd is visible to an MVS system and someone on the MVS side of the house makes a mistake. You do not want MVS to think that there is available space on your VM volumes.
I won't bother explaining how I know that.

Jim

David Boyes wrote:
I may just be paranoid, but I do this for ANY DASD that I get or
recycle, regardless of whether I use it for CP areas or not. It's
probably less necessary than it used to be now that most disk is
emulated, but always doing a CP format on new/recycled DASD tends to
help save you tracking down this kind of problem later.=20

--
Jim Bohnsack
Cornell University