>>> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at  7:58 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Adam Thornton
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
-snip-
> I like defining two (assuming that my real load is less than two full
> engines' worth) or as-many-as-I-expect-to-be-able-to-use-if-more-than-
> two.
>
> Basically, this is to give my workload the best chance of parallel
> dispatch.  If I only have one virtual processor, I only have one thing
> *really* going on at a time in my Linux guest, even if the actual work
> is hopping around real processors.  I don't have any hard data that
> tells me this is really working, though.  Does anyone?

According to Rob, this mainly just increases the likelihood that your guest
won't drop out of queue, and the z/VM dispatcher will decide it's batch
workload, not interactive.  I removed any extraneous processors from my guests
as a result of that conversation.

Mark Post