The current, not command, line in the middle! Never fell in love with
ISPF. Left because:

  1. It is close to the text, which is sometimes very convenient,
especially when using block commands.
  2. Everything to the right is from the file.
  3. Consistent with filelist and rdrlist.
  4. It is a prefix, not a suffix, area. A prefix should precede, not
follow. I read left to right, ergo, the prefix area should be on the
left :-)
  5. My termulator (What a typo! However, it is sort of catchy as a
short way of saying "terminal emulator".) is set to 3278-05. Having the
prefix on the right is not only ugly when editing a file having short
records, it can be downright difficult to associate the line
numbers with the data.

Regards,
Richard Schuh