Pipelines can connect to this.  If you add IUCV *VMEVENT to your
directory entry, a pipe as simple as
pipe starmsg *vmevent|cons
will show you the records that are generated.  This service is
documented in Chapter 23 of "z/VM: CP Programming Services" and it
shows the records that are created.

--
Bruce Hayden
Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support