From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Thomas Kern
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:35 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Disaster Recovery Scenarios

My take on the DR scenarios is that unless you are building your own
recovery site to match your production site, you can never guarantee the
device addressing. So, you need to build address configuration changes into
your DR Plan. You may not need to change some addresses from exercise to
exercise, but on our last test, we had to change addresses within seven days
of the exercise.

Running your production z/OS or Linux under the vendor's floor z/VM system
means you need to customize their directory, where running under your own
z/VM  means you can predefine some of those entries. Our z/OS systems run in
their own LPARs at home, but in predefined virtual machines at DR. This way
the z/OS people don't need to do IO(whatever) changes. My linuxes only need
network definition changes which I will be prestaging before our next
exercise.

After 12+ years of DR heartburn, my feeling is it is easier to adjust MY
z/VM system than to adjust the DR vendor's floor system.

/Thomas Kern
/U.S. Department of Energy
/301-903-2211
/301-905-6427

This information is confidential and intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you have received this email
in error please notify the sender or our Customer Support Center at (262)
928-2777. We have scanned this e-mail and its attachments for malicious
content.  However, the recipient should check this email and any attachments
for the presence of viruses.  ProHealth Care accepts no liability for any