>>  I understand all shops are different and 'it depends'
>> applies...but we are curious as to the ratio of IFLs to Linux guest in
>> other shops.

>The question that comes to my mind is "why would you care?"  My reaction
is that you're trying to manage performance >and capacity by gut feel and
rules of thumb.

Or... perhaps he's trying to get an idea of how much hardware (and the
associated costs) is required to support a planned Linux on System z
project?

If that's the case, then he should contact his local IBM reps or IBM
Business Partner and work with them to perform a TCO analysis of the
current workload being considered for consolidation onto System z
hardware.  IBM has some very comprehensive TCO analysis tools, and appears
to very much enjoy running them.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Mark Post" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
03/20/2008 12:28 AM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Number of IFLs to zLinux guests

>>> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at  3:20 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Harris,
Nick J." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Is there a golden rule about the number of IFLs to support production
> Linux guests?

No.

>  I understand all shops are different and 'it depends'
> applies...but we are curious as to the ratio of IFLs to Linux guest in
> other shops.

The question that comes to my mind is "why would you care?"  My reaction
is that you're trying to manage performance and capacity by gut feel and
rules of thumb.  If so, that's a good way to ensure failure at some point.
 You need the proper tools to monitor both and make rational, fact-based
decisions.

> Are there any shops out there running zLinux guests in production under
> z/VM with two or less IFLs besides us?
>
> We have four production Linux guests and twenty one test Linux guests
> supported by two IFLs on a z9BC.

If you are experiencing bad performance, you may nor may not need to add
capacity, which is where having a good monitor can help you be sure.  If
you're having good performance, for all you know you could put several
hundred guests on those two IFLs.  Or, maybe the next test system will
crater you.  If you don't have good measurements, all the rules of thumb
in the world won't help you.

Mark Post

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.