Well, I tend to disagree about your statement that it will not be the
same the next time. We have a tendency to keep the dump disks clean by
processing dumps in a timely manner. Do not forget that the type of
change I am considering is a planned outage/IPL for the purpose of
rearranging things. It is not a random outage. In that event, There will
be no dumps in spool when the system is shutdown. In fact, I could even
SET DUMP OFF just before the shutdown and process any dumps (a very rare
occurrence thanks to the incredible stability of the modern VM) that
exist before he IPL.

And where does it say that spool will spill over into dump space? It is
quite the opposite. If dump fills, then dump space will be allocated
from ordinary spool space. From CP Planning and Administration:

        "Dump
        tells CP to reserve the spool space on the specified volume
exclusively for dumps."

The word "exclusively" does not mean "exclusive except when it is not."
In other words, it is not an inclusive "exclusively."

Regards,
Richard Schuh