From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gary M. Dennis
Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:43 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM - Lightweight specific purpose file system

Early in the development cycle, we had both QEMU and Bochs running on
z/System version of Redhat (CentOS 5.4). The "Name two movie stars and a
dog" joke applied to both emulators running in this environment.

We concluded early on that we had to get rid of Linux and the emulation
layer.  Both would prevent us from ever achieving the required level of
performance. The result of that detour is that the only thing between
Windows(r) and VM is CMS and translation code.

On 3/26/08 9:57 AM, "Adam Thornton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> An excellent goal.  As a point of comparison, have you ever run
>> Windows
>> using the Bochs emulator on zLinux?  If so, on what machine?  (I'd
>> like to
>> see someone try it on a z10.)

--.  .-  .-.  -.--

Gary Dennis