The Oracle or one of its agents has spoken. Thanks, John.

Would marking the disk as draining in the config file prevent the loss
of anything caused by the timing of the detection of the difference that
you describe?

Another question, would backing up only files that are at least
partially contained on the disk be sufficient? We are talking about a
spool system that normally fluctuates between 7000 and 18000 files, many
of them quite large, and we are stuck with old tape technology (3 tapes
to contain a DDR of a 3390-03). It would be my luck that it would be the
higher number when my scheduled time arrived so that backing up the
entire spool would take quite a bit of time.

I envision a process like this:

Before IPL (all can be done while the system is running)
1. DRAIN the disk, including update of SYSTEM CONFIG to indicate that it
was to be drained or draining at IPL.
2. Use SPFACK to identify files that have at least 1 block on the pack.
3. PURGE unnecessary files.
4. Use SPXTAPE DUMP/LOAD to move the remaining files to the other spool
volumes.
5. Reliable the pack.
6. Update the system config with the new volser. The pack would be left
in the draining state.

After IPL
1. FORCE start.
2. Update system config so that the disk is no longer draining.
3  Start the device.

Would that be safe enough? If so, it would minimize the down time, which
is a major consideration. I would also schedule the IPL to coincide with
already scheduled activities that require the system to be down.

Regards,
Richard Schuh