On Thursday, 04/10/2008 at 09:23 EDT, "McKown, John"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> No,  you cannot run such software on z/VM. The phrasing is very, very
poor.
> What they  really mean would be something like: "You may be able
> to consolidate  work currently running on Windows and other UNIX
platforms by
> use of equivalent  software which can run on Linux on System z, if such
> software exists." But  marketing never likes to phrase things like that.

To be fair, it does say consolidate "workloads", not "servers".  And to
have to change "workloads" to
"workloads-using-programs-for-which-there-exists-a-sufficiently-equivalent-program-built-for-the-System-z-architecture-by-which-we-mean-the-instruction-set-used-on-the-IBM-mainframe--contact-your-application-vendor-for-details"

would simply distract from the message.  I mean, we use the term
"workload" a LOT.

And as we've see here recently, there *is* a company working to bring the
ability to host Windows
workloads-using-the-same-programs-that-you-are-using-now to System z.

But it's certainly fair to ask the question, "What do you mean by
'workloads'?" during a fact-finding mission, as technology changes can
alter the definition in the blink of an eye.