Alan, you are correct - passwords are encrypted, which is done using a
custom https front end solution that connects to  our DOD IP network at
a couple network boundary locations. From there, the session is
connected to our isolated SNA networks in the background.

The Ports and Protocols List prohibits both the port (23) and the
protocol (telnet), so "hiding" telnet on an alternate port is not an
option.

At least for those of us who possess and would like to keep security
clearances.. :)

If IBM is weighing the future of VM/VTAM support either on IFLs or
standard CPs (and I get the feeling reading this list that they are),
then they can consider VM/VTAM a critical requirement for us.

Regards,
Denny Burch

z/VM and z/LINUX Systems
DISA DECC Mechanicsburg