On Friday, 05/09/2008 at 12:50 EDT, David Boyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> PVM also has the downside of not being easily licensable on IFLs at the
> moment. The VM guys might be about to do something about that, but at
> the moment, getting PVM for an IFL install is a lengthy and somewhat
> complicated process. It's also not cheap.

I can't comment on the difficulty; you're the one who experienced it!
Generally, the first special bid (by any customer) takes the longest since
SWG has to create the electronic gizmos that allow the order and to set a
price and Ts&Cs.  After that, it's usually smooth sailing using an
"off-the-shelf" price.  SOME people might run into problems getting it
because their BP or IBMer doesn't know how to handle special bids, but
that's a different problem!

As to the cost, do the math.  How long were you thinking of running the
product?  How many years of monthly license fees does it cover?  After
that, all you're paying is an annual maintenance fee.  If we stop service,
you can stop paying, but you still get to keep using the software. (Unlike
ICA.)

There is a significant downside to special bids, however:  They do not
include the rights to free upgrades as you have with our IPLA software and
often have limited use clauses.