I do not really like this example: the DIAG 8 call works indeed, but
differs too much from the other CP commands.  Some readers won't
recognize DIAG(8,xxxx) as a CP command

I'd prefer to code the REXX exec with ADDRESS COMMAND, then no DIAG 8
is required.
   address command
   "CP SET SECUSER" linux.i "*"
   if rc > 0 then do
      say "===> Could not establish secondary console for" linux.i,
         "RC =" rc
   end; else do
      "CP SEND" linux.i "halt"
       "CP SLEEP 1 SEC"
       "CP SET SECUSER" linux.i "OPERATOR"
   end

More information about ADDRESS COMMAND, and why one should almost ALWAYS use it:
   http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/packages/descript.cgi?TCVM1

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support