On: Mon, May 19, 2008 at 01:43:33PM -0400,Gentry, Stephen Wrote:

} How does zVM store data in it's spool file?  More specifically,

Others have mentioned that the spool system, as is most CP data, is made
up of 4k blocks..

A bit more detail:  The data in the 4k blocks consists of CCWs that when
executed will write the data.  A typical layout might be:

CCW1 with a data address of data1 and a length of data1
TIC (transfer in channel, i.e. a branch to CCW2
DATA1 consisting of the first data record
CCW2 with a data address of data2 and a length of data2
TIC to CCW3
DATA2 second data record
CCW3 etc etc until the 4k block is filled.

When printing or punching, the 4k block is read in,  the address
portions of the CCWs is relocated to the actual address in storage, and
the i/o is started pointing to CCW1.

NB: The above is somewhat simplified.

--
Rich Greenberg  N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 239 543 1353
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67