HOBBIT is indeed a nice package, and it is free, but it is not
self-contained, it does require a server that acts as a collection/displa
point for multiple systems. We have ours running on a spare solaris syste
m,
others have theirs on linux/x86. When the next release (4.3) comes out, I

will be trying to put up my own hobbit server in one of my z890 linux
instances.

It is nice and free but better if you already use it for monitoring other

systems in your network. If there is no Hobbit, BigBrother (hobbit's
ancestor) or Nagios to monitor systems, suggest Hobbit and let someone el
se
buy the linux server to put it on.

/Tom Kern
/301-903-2211

On Tue, 3 Jun 2008 09:09:05 -0500, Huegel, Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wro
te:

>Depending on what you need HOBIT (a freebe) may work for you.

Behalf Of LOREN CHARNLEY
>Sent: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 8:59 AM
>To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
>Subject: Monitor for zVM
>

>I have been mandated by management to seek a lower cost performance moni
tor
than our currently employed ESAMON from Velocity Software. The reason for

this is that we are in the throws of down sizing what we are running on o
ur
current z800 with zVM 4.3. There is also talk of eliminating zVM altogeth
er,
but that is a discussion for a later date.

>If anyone can suggest something of zero cost or at least lower than ESAM
ON,
I would appreciate it.