Marcy,  What is your network configuration like?  Do you know what type
of network hardware has been in place for the channel extension?

-----Original Message-----
From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Marcy Cortes
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 2:34 PM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: VM:Backup: Twinning Tapes to Remote Tape Unit

FWIW, backing up about 360G of disk on the smaller system of our 2
traditional VM/CMS systems  with HIDRO (uses 4 tapes, 2000 miles) takes
a little less that 10 hours.  The network is being beefed up.  Then we
will do full XRC mirroring instead (or too?).

The restores are faster with HIDRO as well.  Since we do monthly
disaster tests, fast is good...
(JR and Fran will tell you that too :)

I figure too that using both vmbackup and hidro is some protection
against sw bugs too that might corrupt both the primary and the
secondary at the same time.

Marcy

"This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If
you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on
this message or any information herein. If you have received this