Jim Bohnsack wrote:
I received electronic service for z/VM 5.3, RSU 7304. I am not clear on

  Did you mean 5304?

interpreting the installation instructions.  I received 4 files:
S7858796.SHIPDOC
S7858796.SHIPRSU1
S7858796.SHIPRSU2
S7858796.SHIPRSU3

I got mine through SRD and they came as RLSTxxxx.BIN or RPTFxxxx.BIN files that then had to be DETERSEd to .SERVLINK files. Did you get yours through ShopZ?

My question or confusion is that is the fname and ftype that the SERVICE exec needs. There are references to the ftype "must be SERVLINK". If so what do I do with the dup fnames? I see another reference saying that the ftypes can be in the SHIPRSUn format that I received. I see a reference to the service envelope needs to be on the 500 disk accessed as C and another saying that it needs to be accessed as A.

The "Guide for Automated Installation and Service" says C, but it also says"
"If your media is electronic, follow the instructions that were sent to you electronically."

FWIW, when I recently got RSU5304, the 500 disk was Z.

I've used SERVICE before but for 7304 I ordered a tape. I don't remember using SERVICE for electronic service with more than one file.

What filemode does the service need to be on and what fname and ftype does SERVICE want the files to be?

Filemode: anywhere it can find the files; FN and FT, see above.

Jim

HTH

Kim