>>> On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at  3:41 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Thomas Kern
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The VM community shared a lot more code before people started worrying about
> licensing. I don't remember anyone making money off of the Waterloo Mods.

And most of that was before the Berne Convention came into effect.  Now, all
published works are automatically copyrighted, requiring some sort of license
for others to use it.  The author can declare the work to be in the public
domain, but most people don't want to give up all control, just let other
people use it freely.  Hence the various licenses that are now in use.

Mark Post