From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Howard
Rifkind
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2008 9:16 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Moving User Maint's minidisks.

Thanks all...great suggestions.

>>> Dave Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 6/27/2008 9:52 AM >>>
Hi, Howard.

Try the following:

1) create another VM user id with the proper privileges. Call it, say, MAINTX.
2) create the new MAINT mindisks on the new volume,using your favorite
directory manager
tools.
3) logo off of MAINT
4) from MAINTX, link to both the old MAINT's minidisks, and the new minidisks
on the new
volume.
5) do a DDR from each old minidisk to the new one.
6) update all of the other user directory entries to point to the new MAINT
minidisk
locations, and bring the directory online.

It will not matter that other users have links to MAINT's old minidisks, as
these links
should be r/o only. As users log off and back on again, they will pick up the
new location
for MAINT's minidisks. When the last user using the old minidisk location logs
off, you
can then reclaim that DASD space for other uses.

No shutdown and no IPL required.

Good luck.

--
DJ

V/Soft
   z/VM and mainframe Linux expertise, training,
   consulting, and software development
www.vsoft-software.com