Jim Hughes asked:
> How would the STARMSG pipeline detect someone
> typing a message at the console and hitting the ENTER key?
>  Would it require another concurrent pipe running?

Concurrent, yes.
For console input, I would simply fan-in a CONSOLE stage.
You can even fan-in TCP connections, if you like.  (trickier)

What I typically do is attach the stages from within the gem
(eg: MYTHING REXX).  Something like ...

        /* REXX */
         ... other stuff ...
        'ADDPIPE (END !) STARMSG | FI: FANINANY | *.INPUT:' ,
          'CONSOLE ASYNC | SPEC /CONSOLE / | FI:'
         ... main body and the peekto/readto loop ...

In this example, STARMSG prefixes each record
with a message type, so I also prefix "CONSOLE "
to each record of terminal input.

-- R; <><