I've ran my test data through this PIPE and it appears to solve the
problem:

/*  */
!written = 0
!deleted = 0
 address command "PIPE ( endchar ? )                " ,
                 "< IFSDE  binary   a              | " ,
                 " change x0d0a x0a                |",
                 " change x0d   x0a                |",
                 " deblock linend 0a               | " ,
                 " xlate from 819 to 1047          |",
                 " change x00 / /                  | " ,
                 " strip trailing                  | " ,
                 " g: locate w 1                   | " ,
                 " >  IFSDE DEBLOCK A              | " ,
                 " count lines                     | " ,
                 " var !written tracking             " ,
         " count lines | " ,
         " var !deleted tracking "

say "written=" !written
say "deleted=" !deleted

Thanks to everyone.

Jim Hughes
603-271-5586
"Its kind of fun to do the impossible." (Walt Disney)