I'm a little late to this discussion, but there are a couple things I
wanted to respond to:

> Thanks! That explains why I filled it up and how big it should be. Did
> I miss it, or is it really not in book?
> -Rob

There is a section titled "DASD Space Needed for Control Data Backup" in

Chapter 7 of the CMS File Pool, Planning, & Administration book.

> The problem with that is if you have to recycle that filepool with the
> control backups, the access will be gone and the control backup fails.
> And I believe that unless you poke in the SFS server, you can't
> re-access that other than STOP NOBACKUP and restart?
> -Rob

You can direct the control data backup to another file pool using the
explicit directory name and thus, avoid the access, and the problem of th
access going away.
Eg. fileserv defbackup disk backup data fpname:username.dir
Backing up to tape is another method (besides minidisk).