> This does beg the question, is there any significant performance
> difference when writing to the filemode vs. writing to an unaccessed
> directory?

No, when the destination for the control data backup is an SFS directory,

the same routines are used, regardless of whether the directory is
accessed or not.

While poking around in the CMS File Pool, Planning & Admin book (it's
 been
a while since I worked on SFS!), Chapter 7, Recovery Procedures - I came

across/remembered the DEFBACKUP command that is germane to this thread.

The DEFBACKUP command allows one to temporarily re-direct the backup
destination.  Quoting from the book you may want to do this if:

- Your default backup destination is tape and an operator is not availabl
to mount the tape.
- Your default backup destination is another file pool, but the file pool

is not available for some reason.

Speaking of Chapter 7, this is a must read for all responsible for
maintaining SFS file pools.  The control data backup that we have been

talking about is only HALF of the story.  You also need to back up
the "user data".   You might do that with FILEPOOL UNLOAD or FILEPOOL
BACKUP or use an external product.  You need to consider what restore
capability you require (incremental, file level, file space level, etc)

when choosing the backup method.   And some may choose to use brute force

DDR, but remember the file pool must be shutdown when using this method

and all minidisks must be backed up as a unit.