Have a look at IBM Softcopy Librarian and IBM Softcopy Reader (both free):
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/applications/office/bkmgr/librarian.html
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/applications/office/bkmgr/softcopyread.html

You need Windows with Java for both. The Librarian lets you download (or
import from CDs) and maintain the manuals in repository on your PC (and copy
or sync that repository to a network location), while Reader lets you search
and, well, read them. Both support manuals in BookManager and PDF format. I
keep everything I might ever want for multiple releases of operating systems
and accompanying products on my laptop and it's indeed well worth the space.

BTW and OT, both these products being in Java and Softcopy Reader having a
Linux version as well, one might hope there would be a Mac version at some
time in the not too distant future. But then again, one may always be
hopelessly naive and optimistic...

Ivica