> Does this approach get around the stack limit some way? If we try to
put
> 800
> machines on a VLAN, will this blow the limit referenced below?

The layer 2 TYPE ETHERNET VSWITCH gets the OSA limits out of the line of
fire entirely -- the OSA(s) (note multiple) servicing the VSWITCH just
forward frames, acting like a bridge to the VLAN. You can put lots more
than 800 guests on a VLAN. I know of people with well over 2000 guests
of various types on a single VLAN sharing a VSWITCH.

Downside is that unless you have a z10, I don't think you can have a OSA
card in layer 3 and layer 2 mode simultaneously, so you can't share a
card with a LPAR that requires layer 3 mode. Probably not a big deal for
you, as you're likely to push the limits of a card and not want to share
it anyway, but YMMV.

The limit applies only to device triples directly attached to individual
guests, which is a not so hot idea under VM anyway given that VSWITCH
exists. It'll also simplify the ability to move virtual machines if IBM
ever gets us such a thing -- not tying the adapters to actual physical
devices is a Good Thing.