On Thursday, 08/07/2008 at 11:00 EDT, Robert J Brenneman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The vswitch counts as 1 stack on the OSA, no matter how many systems are
behind
> it. So yes - it gets you around the 640 stacks per OSA issue. That
limitation
> came from the number of subchannels you could generate on the OSA chpid
itself.
> I think it's even higher than 640 for the recent z10 and the newest OSA
> adapters.

In each edition of the OSA Express Customer Guide and Reference (current
is -09) from ResourceLink, appendix B contains the stack/address limits
and hardware-specific things such as the MTU size (1492 or 8992).

OSA Express has a limit of 480 devices and 160 stacks.
OSA Express2 and 3 have a limit of 1920 devices and 640 stacks.

The OSA Express3 is available only on the z10.  It has the same general
configuration characteristics as the OSA Express2, but
(a) It has only GbE and 10 GbE (no 1000-baseT)
(b) The number of ports per card (feature) is doubled
(c) It has better performance