I see this update in the online version of
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/epubs/pdf/ioa2z150.pdf (see p. 12):

"Beginning with the May 2006 version of Licensed Internal Code on
z890, z990 and z9 systems only, this restriction has been lifted. With
this version of Licensed Internal Code, a layer 2 host can directly
communicate with a layer 3 host sharing the same OSA-Express port."

So - it is even lifted for z990.  I don't know what the release number
is for the May 2006 version of the code.

--
Bruce Hayden
Linux on System z Advanced Technical Support