On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:25:27 -0700, Mike Harding <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> w
rote:

>An alternative - which might even satisfy Mr. Schuh - could be to restri
ct
>"detachable" memory to that which has been dynamically added after CP wa
>iplled.  I wouldn't think the SXS would extend into such, which would ma
ke
>it easier to clear.  Of course it's been a while since I did much perusi
ng
>of CP internals...
>--Mike
>========================
=========================
========================

Yes, that simplifies it somewhat, wouldn't require pre-definition of the
detachable range, but it still means rewriting pretty much all of storage

allocation to know certain areas are restricted and need to be managed
separately, and all allocation logic would need to be additionally
multi-pathed based on request type.  Not a trivial undertaking by any mea
ns,
but feasible enough, I suppose, if enough customers were to ask for it to
 be
made a priority over other functions already being requested.

- Bill Holder, z/VM Development, IBM