From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf
Of Rich Smrcina
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 10:01 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Dirmaint Mdisk Allocation

When you added it to EXTENT CONTROL, did you send the file back to
DIRMAINT and tell it to reload the EXTENT CONTROL file (DIRM RLDEXTN)?

Mary Zervos wrote:
This is a new z/VM 5.3 system I'm working on.  Very few userids with
mdisks have been allocated so far.
I've only added the following to the Extent Control file.....and the
Defaults Datadvh file is set right.

:REGIONS.
 *RegionId  VolSer    RegStart      RegEnd  Dev-Type  Comments
  530USR    530USR      001          3338   3390-03
*DASDType
Max-Size       3390-01              1113  3390-02              2226
3390-03              3339
I just formatted, allocated another 3390-3 pack as all perm, added
it to
the REGIONS in Extent Control, attached it to the system, added it
to $ALLOC$, issued Dirm Freext which shows

VOLUME   DEVTYPE  -------------- FREE EXTENTS ---------------
530TDK   3390     START=          1 AVAIL=       1112
It definitely doesn't see it as a 3390-3?

Rich Smrcina wrote:
Does EXTENT CONTROL have a subset of the volumes configured?  The
third and fourth tokens on each line is the starting and ending
cylinders of the area that DIRMAINT is allowed to allocate.

Are you having problems with any other 3390-3 volumes?

Mary Zervos wrote:
Yes, the Extent control file has them as 3390-3.  A Dirm Usedext
shows all the users mdisks.  A Dirm Freext comes up empty.

Rich Smrcina wrote:
Does your EXTENT CONTROL file have them configured as 3390-3?
Does
DIRMAINT think there is something else on the volume?

Mary Zervos wrote:
Hello all,

I have a 3390-3 allocated as all Perm (PERM     0
3338       3339).  Dirmaint will
not let me allocate past cylinder 1170?  I have another 3390-3
also
allocated as all
Perm and Dirmaint won't let me allocate past cylinder 1100?  Any
ideas?

Thanks,

Mary Zervos
VM Systems Programmer
Binghamton University

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richsmrcina

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2009 - Orlando, FL - May 15-19, 2009