Yes I did.

Rich Smrcina wrote:
When you added it to EXTENT CONTROL, did you send the file back to DIRMAINT and tell it to reload the EXTENT CONTROL file (DIRM RLDEXTN)?

Mary Zervos wrote:
This is a new z/VM 5.3 system I'm working on. Very few userids with mdisks have been allocated so far. I've only added the following to the Extent Control file.....and the Defaults Datadvh file is set right.

:REGIONS. *RegionId VolSer RegStart RegEnd Dev-Type Comments 530USR 530USR 001 3338 3390-03 *DASDType Max-Size 3390-01 1113 3390-02 2226 3390-03 3339 I just formatted, allocated another 3390-3 pack as all perm, added it to the REGIONS in Extent Control, attached it to the system, added it
to $ALLOC$, issued Dirm Freext which shows

VOLUME   DEVTYPE  -------------- FREE EXTENTS ---------------
530TDK 3390 START= 1 AVAIL= 1112 It definitely doesn't see it as a 3390-3?

Rich Smrcina wrote:
Does EXTENT CONTROL have a subset of the volumes configured? The third and fourth tokens on each line is the starting and ending cylinders of the area that DIRMAINT is allowed to allocate.

Are you having problems with any other 3390-3 volumes?

Mary Zervos wrote:
Yes, the Extent control file has them as 3390-3. A Dirm Usedext shows all the users mdisks. A Dirm Freext comes up empty.

Rich Smrcina wrote:
Does your EXTENT CONTROL file have them configured as 3390-3? Does DIRMAINT think there is something else on the volume?

Mary Zervos wrote:
Hello all,

I have a 3390-3 allocated as all Perm (PERM 0 3338 3339). Dirmaint will not let me allocate past cylinder 1170? I have another 3390-3 also allocated as all Perm and Dirmaint won't let me allocate past cylinder 1100? Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mary Zervos
VM Systems Programmer
Binghamton University