Thanks Scott. I'm heading out the door for the day and I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Mary

Scott Rohling wrote:
sent our extent control and defaults datadvh to ya..

Scott Rohling

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Mary Zervos <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    Could someone please send me their Z/VM 5.3 Extent Control file to
    peek at?

    Thanks.

    Scott Rohling wrote:

        Your EXTENT CONTROL entries came out garbled when I look at
        them.. I see 3390-01 in there - which is the size it seems to
        be using.

        What do your DEFAULTS show for 3390-3 or 3390-03 or whichever
        you are using in REGIONS?

        It's sounding very much like it thinks these are 3390-01 -- so
        either it's being specified that way in REGIONS - or you have
        an entry for 3390-03 that points to 1113 size in DEFAULTS..

        On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Mary Zervos
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>>
        wrote:

           Yes I did.

           Rich Smrcina wrote:

               When you added it to EXTENT CONTROL, did you send the file
               back to DIRMAINT and tell it to reload the EXTENT
        CONTROL file
               (DIRM RLDEXTN)?

               Mary Zervos wrote:

                   This is a new z/VM 5.3 system I'm working on.  Very few
                   userids with mdisks have been allocated so far.
                   I've only added the following to the Extent Control
                   file.....and the Defaults Datadvh file is set right.

:REGIONS. *RegionId VolSer RegStart RegEnd Dev-Type
                    Comments
                    530USR    530USR      001          3338   3390-03
*DASDType Max-Size 3390-01 1113
                    3390-02              2226  3390-03              3339 I
                   just formatted, allocated another 3390-3 pack as
        all perm,
                   added it to the REGIONS in Extent Control, attached
        it to
                   the system, added it
                   to $ALLOC$, issued Dirm Freext which shows

                   VOLUME   DEVTYPE  -------------- FREE EXTENTS
        ---------------
530TDK 3390 START= 1 AVAIL= 1112 It definitely doesn't see it as a 3390-3?

                   Rich Smrcina wrote:

                       Does EXTENT CONTROL have a subset of the volumes
                       configured?  The third and fourth tokens on
        each line
                       is the starting and ending cylinders of the
        area that
                       DIRMAINT is allowed to allocate.

                       Are you having problems with any other 3390-3
        volumes?

                       Mary Zervos wrote:

                           Yes, the Extent control file has them as
        3390-3.
                            A Dirm Usedext shows all the users mdisks.  A
                           Dirm Freext comes up empty.

                           Rich Smrcina wrote:

                               Does your EXTENT CONTROL file have them
                               configured as 3390-3?  Does DIRMAINT think
                               there is something else on the volume?

                               Mary Zervos wrote:

                                   Hello all,

                                   I have a 3390-3 allocated as all Perm