Thanks Alan. I have found a way to use SMSG, so I have circumvented a
design "feature".

So it is documented. That does not alter the fact that the treatment of
the MSG traffic seems to be somewhat inconsistent. If the id has a logon
console, the messages are sent to the *MSG trap, regardless of whether
there is a SECUSER. If the id is disconnected, the messages are trapped
if there is no SECUSER or there is one that does not happen to be logged
on, but are sent to the SECUSER if there is one who is logged on. To me,
this violates the Principle of Least Astonishment.

Is there some good reason why it works like this? It would be more
consistent if the things that are set to be trapped by IUCV or SMSG were
treated the same in all cases. After all, if it is OK for the machine to
process the messages in most cases, why is it not OK in this one
instance? I understand, and now share, your grudge.

This is one of those things that may be BAD, but has been around for so
long that it probably can't be fixed without upsetting a lot of users.
(For the uninitiated, BAD is an acronym for Broken As Designed.) Has
there been a replacement assigned to take over the Ombudsman role since
Lyn Hadley held the post. Speaking of Lyn, has anyone heard from him
recently?

Regards,
Richard Schuh