The SET OBSERVER command is working the right way, i.e. it won't  take
MSGs away from the *MSG IUCV handler.  I tested this the first day I
had a VM system with SET OBSERVER.  I use it since then to debug SVMs
that connect to *MSG(ALL).

Can one use SET OBSERVER then without *any* side effect?  No: an
OBSERVED user cannot have a SECUSER at the same time.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support