From: The IBM z/VM Operating System [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2008 10:56 AM
To: IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: Re: Lpar Vs VM

>>> On 8/27/2008 at 11:30 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"Ward, Mike S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello all, I have a question. When we set up and lpar with an operating
> environment such as MVS, we get software charges for both lpars from
> IBM. Third party vendors don't seem to care if it's on the same machine
> (Most don't) since they charge for the full mip rate of the machine
> regardless of whether it's utilized or not. Long ago, about 30 years I
> had a VM shop and we ran multiple instances of OS/VS1, MVS, etc, but
> were only charged for on license of software product. Is this still the
> case? Is it better to use VM instead of LPAR? All comments appreciated.

That's going to be determined by what you intend to run.  z/VM, Linux, and a
bunch of IBM middleware is licensed per-processor.  If you create an LPAR with
standard CPs in it (whether running z/VM or not), you'll be paying license
charges for all the CPs in the CEC.  If you create an LPAR with IFLs, you'll be
paying license charges for all the IFLs in the CEC.  The same will be true of
z/VM.  Most of the new workload being run on z/VM these days is Linux, so
typically it makes sense to run z/VM and Linux on IFLs, to avoid having to pay
for licenses on the standard CPs.  If you add IFLs to handle more z/VM or Linux
workload, that means you don't have to pay more for you z/OS license charges,
whereas if you add standard CPs to handle more z/VM or Linux workload, your
z/OS license charges will go up.

Over and above that, if you think you might be running more than a small
handful of systems, z/VM is by far the better way to go.  It will save you tons
of people time, and provide more manageability and flexibility.

Mark Post