I can't speak to z/OS software charges, but for VSE, we pay for only one
license for multiple instances running under z/VM. And we pay the VSE
license for the total capacity of the machine.

I don't think you can say that VM is better than LPAR as a general
statement. In some cases VM definitely is better, and in others, LPAR is
the winner.

Do you need to create new z/OS instances on short notice for a brief
testing period? z/VM is a clear winner.

Do you need every last CPU cycle for your production z/OS? LPAR is
better here.

Do you need to frequently shift resources around between your LPARs?
z/VM might make your life easier.

Is your hardware environment fairly static? Could be better to stay with
LPARs.

Are you thinking of running Linux on your mainframe? You will almost
certainly want to run z/VM then.

z/VM brings you unmatched flexibility, but at a cost of some CPU cycles
and money. If you have large numbers of LPARs though, it can reduce the
complexity of your configuration, and allow better sharing of your
resources.

Perhaps if you expand on what you hope to achieve, we can provide more
targeted responses.

Peter