Scott Rohling wrote:
The shutdown happening isn't a function of being on the mainframe .. If Linux is configured properly - the SIGNAL will amount to a 'shutdown -h now'.
Then Linux will shutdown, regardless of logged-in users, processes running, etc., though the exact time required to do so is not deterministic, due to file systems being marked, scripts being run and a certain slack granted to processes to drop dead cleanly :) I can see that the script stuff
could in some scenarios take a L-O-N-G time to run.

I wonder what the tail end of that code in Linux/390 looks like? On a PC it does a busy loop after signalling APM (power mgt) to poweroff once or twice.
Does Linux/390 LOGOFF in lieu of powerdown? Maybe that code is broken.

--
Jack J. Woehr            # "Self-delusion is
http://www.well.com/~jax #  half the battle!"