Are you sure? In that case I must reopen my issue with IBM because it
doesn't work like that for me. And even IBM told me "works as designed".

When I issue a CP SIGNAL I must specify the time with the within option.
The linux machine will be logged off, either by itself within the
specified time or it is forced by CP when the specified time has passed.
If for any reason the linux guest will not shutdown, for instance
because some user is still logged on to the database, the machine might
as well be forced by the operator with the same result. And the same is
true for a VSE guest. And even for VM itself. If you signal a VM, either
CP SIGNAL for a guest or a signal from the hardware, VM will shutdown
without any concern for the guests running in that VM.

In the case of a shutdown exec, I tried to set it up some time ago. I
noticed that a linux guest or a guest VM would be forced whenever it
took too long. And I even didn't try it for my VSE guests. So yes, using
SIGNAL will help to shutdown your VM but do not expect your linuxguests
to survive the proces. If they are forced you could end up with
filesystem errors that will prevent an IPL the next time. And what about
a batch job that is forced and will leave you with a database corruption?

So I removed the idea of SIGNAL, both from the exec and from my mind.
Now we issue a "shutdown -h" on the guest and wait for the guest to log
off. If it didn't before a set time the VM shutdown is stopped and the
operator must investigate why the guest isn't logged off yet.

Regards, Berry.