I know of no single tool that can help you because verifying function at
essentially an application level is so unique to each instance.

If your target linux is a web server, use your browser to pull up a dynam
ic
page from that server (a cgi that displays the current df or top data).

If your target linux is a database server, use some application that pull
data from that database (look up a phone number in your employee locator
table).

If your target linux is an email server, open a special email account sto
red
there.

If your target linux is some infrastructure server, use some tool to test

that infrstructure service (nslookup for a DNS server, etc).

Once you get into specialized servers for specialized applications, you h
ave
to use the application to verify that the application is working.

If you can get those tests to actually run on the servers, then you can u
se
a hobbit client to send status messages to a hobbit server for display vi
a a
web browser.

/Tom Kern
/301-903-2211