That may have been done so that when they IPL their system, it does not
glom onto someone else's disks that, by chance, have the same volsers as
theirs. Of course, the chances could be diminished had their disks been
labeled something like SUNnnn or nnnSUN, instead of having the "default"
or commonly used volume serials.

Regards,
Richard Schuh