Use HELP, the waitcode plus a W, hence:
HELP HCP912W
which tells you:

HCP912W   System recovery failure; volid volid not mounted

Explanation:  A volume necessary for checkpointing the system is not mounted.
The volid refers to the volume ID of the volume that is not mounted.

When CP issues this message, the volid should be the volume ID specified on
either the SYSCKP or SYSWRM parameters of the SYSRES macro in HCPSYS, or the
CHECKPOINT or WARMSTART operands of the SYSTEM_RESIDENCE statement in the
SYSTEM CONFIG file.
.... etc...

Additionally: have a look in the reader of OPERATNS, maybe CP produced a dump

2008/11/13 Macioce, Larry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>  This morning when I came in I was informed we couldn't get to our Linux
> servers. The problem was on the HMC, VM was in a 912 disabled wait
> state.
> I have looked all over,but obviously not everywhere or I would have
> found it,  and can't find where this code is hiding.
> Asking for a little help in finding it,
> Thanks
> Mace

> The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual
> or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
> and/or
> privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or
> other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by
> persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
> prohibited. If you have received this email in error please contact
> the sender and delete the
> material from any computer.

Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support