And, if you have lots of files in the XEDIT ring, use my RING XEDIT macro
  (part of http://www.vm.ibm.com/download/packages/descript.cgi?LISTSG )
- "RING xyz"  executes xyz in all files in the ring
- "RING" displays the files in the ring in a FILELIST like way
  and lets you execute XEDIT commands to them
I used this often when I had to apply changes to similar, but not
identical, files.

Oh yes, and how do you get many files in the RING without having to
type their names? If you use my enhanced FILELIST, you can enter X2
(instead of X) in FLELIST to bring all these files in the ring where
FILELIST lives.

And to complement the explanation about SSAVE and FFILE: I saw quite
some people that use FF (the abbrev of FFILE) as it is easier to type
than FILE.  By doing that, they no longer could profit of this extra
protection XEDIT gives to avoid wiping out changes unexpectedly.  Once
I explained what they loosed they all stopped using FF and SS as
"default" command.

While at the subject: if you code XEDIT macros, and precede all XEDIT
commands by COMMAND (to avoid user defined command synonyms), know
then that FFILE is in fact a standard synonym.  "COMMAND FFILE"
doesn't exist.
 Synonym: FILE   native command: PFILE
 Synonym: FFILE  native command: FILE
PFILE stands for "Protected FILE", that is the command with the extra
protecting.
Similar for SAVE/PSAVE/SSAVE and QUIT/PQUIT/QQUIT
So in macros code "COMMAND FILE" if you want to file anyhow, and
"COMMAND PFILE" if the extra wipe out protection is wanted.  Why this
complex setup? PFILE and friends were added later, and with the
synonym setup macros that use COMMAND FILE remain compatible;
end-users that type "FILE" get the extra protection automatically.

--
Kris Buelens,
IBM Belgium, VM customer support