All good ideas.  The original problem does not state if the userids are on
the same system.

We had a similar problem: needing to run a command on one system (start
the nightly VM:Backups on the system that has tape drives), gracefully
shutdown zLinux P.O.C. servers on another system with which we share DASD,
wait for the zLinux servers to logoff that system, and when the backups
are complete, XAUTOLOG them on the remote system.

Each system has CMS servers running WAKEUP.  (VMBSYSAD running our
NITEBKUP EXEC to supervise the backups on one, something like VMUTIL on
the other).  Communications between the two is via SMTP e-mail.  One
NITEBKUP sends the command to the remote system and waits for a reply in
the reader.  The remote system validates the sender, issues the commands
to shutdown the zLinux servers listed in a common file, and sends email
back with the return codes when they are logged off.  When the NITEBKUP
EXEC (home-grown over decades) finishes the backups, it sends e-mail back
to the remote system to run a command which XAUTOLOGs the servers that
were brought down previously.

We get servers backed up with consistent filesystem states all from one
VM:Backup server.  No extra products.

Obviously (don't EVEN go there!), should we ever get into production with
zLinux, we'll need a REAL backup product to backup zLinux filesystems.
Personally, I'd like that product to work hand-in-hand with our existing
VM:Backup product which we z/VM'ers control on our own.  (Anyone at CA
listening????!!!!)  I'm not delighted by the thought of having someone
else responsible in a distributed environment for backups of production
mainframe zLinux servers.  It's not THEIR job if a zLinux server can't be
restored quickly after some disaster (perhaps during a small D.R. test
window?).  It could be in their SLA's, but ultimately, I'd have to answer
why that/those servers were down for that time period.

Mike Walter
Hewitt Associates
Any opinions expressed herein are mine alone and do not necessarily
represent the opinions or policies of Hewitt Associates.

"Thomas Kern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sent by: "The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>
12/04/2008 06:03 PM
Please respond to
"The IBM z/VM Operating System" <IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU>

IBMVM@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Starting an exec on a remote machine

I can think of two mechanisms off-hand.

1) after X xautologs user B with command EXEC Y, it loops checking for
user B being logged on. Once user B is no longer logged on, exec X can
continue.

2) after X xautologs user B..., it waits for an SMSG from user B using
the WAKEUP program. The EXEC Y needs to send X and SMSG just before
logging indicating a successful/unsuccessful completion.

/Tom Kern

Howard Rifkind wrote:
> I'm running exec X on cms user 'A'
>
> I exec X has to start exec Y running on cms user 'B' and after exec Y
> terminates it has to return control to the exec on cms user 'A'
>
> I could use some suggestions as to the best way to do this.
>
> Thanks

The information contained in this e-mail and any accompanying documents may
contain information that is confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender
by reply e-mail and then delete this message, including any attachments. Any
dissemination, distribution or other use of the contents of this message by
anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. All messages
sent to and from this e-mail address may be monitored as permitted by
applicable law and regulations to ensure compliance with our internal policies
and to protect our business. E-mails are not secure and cannot be guaranteed to
be error free as they can be intercepted, amended, lost or destroyed, or
contain viruses. You are deemed to have accepted these risks if you communicate
with us by e-mail.